In this post I want to share some insight related to spiritual warfare. This has been in the making some 14 years and I’ve never shared it before because God was actually unpacking this revelation to me.
This process started with something God said to me 14 years ago and I needed to gain the wisdom, knowledge & experience based on what He said to write this.
I was driving to work one morning, Christian music blasting on the radio, praising God. I was just enjoying the day and glorifying Him about nature – the sun, the beautiful picture that he painted for me that morning in the sky, the flowers and trees. Out of the blue He says to me “there are many intercessors that are sick because they went out and fought battles I didn’t call them to fight”
My thought was… what? Then I asked Him “what do You mean by that?” He said nothing else.
Because of the silence all these questions started to flood my mind…
I thought no weapons formed against us shall prosper?
I thought we were protected in warfare?
What about the Armor of God?
What about greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world?
I don’t understand.
God said nothing else. Over the years He’s basically shown me what He meant.
First, I’m going to start off with Spiritual Warfare for the newbie Christian and move into more advanced concepts that most Christians don’t address and quite frankly I’ve never heard taught before. I’m going to spend the majority of this post addressing advanced warfare because this is where I see so many getting into trouble.
Spiritual Warfare for Beginners
The first thing we must know is that when we go through warfare of any kind we are not actually fighting people but instead demonic spirits (Ephesians 6:12) “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
We don’t fight people and we don’t fight them in our flesh (with our own strength). We should always pray and ask God to reveal the spirit behind someone’s behavior or opposition that we are facing and pray against that. Not the person. Please read this to learn how to bind and loose in the spirit.
The most important thing that we can do is put on the Armor of God when we are in volatile situations.
If you do these things as a new Christian this will help you through difficult situations. You don’t need to progress from here until you master how to bind and loose and how to put the Armor of God on.
Spiritual Warfare for the Intermediate Warrior
As an intermediate warrior, you must do all of the things that the beginners does with ease. This means you don’t even have to think about it as this is second nature to you when you are in a warfare situation. Except now you need to add a few other things.
Keep in mind that everything in the natural has a spiritual correlation. So if you are a parent and you have a toddler in the car going to the supermarket. You are going to get out of the car, go around, unbuckle the seat belt, hold the child’s hand to make sure they are not going to run across the road and get hurt. This is normal because you have a toddler. What happens when they are 10 years old? Are you still doing that? No. That child should have learned by then how to get out of a car and cross the road safely.
Same thing goes with you when it comes to spiritual warfare. God expects you to grow up and use the tools that He has given you without Him having to remind you.
1. Scriptures. You need to know at least one or two scriptures for every situation that you face. Are you able to quote 2 scriptures related to warfare? Would you know 2? How about Healing? Salvation? Finances? At this stage you need to have an arsenal of scriptures. Here are some
bible verses that you can learn for various situations
2. At this stage you are not a child anymore and God expects you to come off the milk and start eating meat. This means that you should be reading the Word at least 4 times per week. And you would need to understand that putting on the Armor last week does not mean that it is still in place today. Why? Sin. The minute you commit one little sin your armor is OFF. For most of you, I’m sure nobody told you this before. Let’s read the Armor of God scripture in The Message translation
(Ephesians 6:13-18) Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.”
So the bottom line is the minute you are not walking in Truth 100% the Armor is off. The minute you step outside of righteousness, armor off. The minutes you are not 100% in peace, armor off. The minute you don’t have 100% faith, guess what? Armor off!
The enemy’s job is to get you to violate any one of these so that he can disarm you. The devil can’t take the armor off of you but he surely can send something to make you sin that then disarms you. That’s why the armor should go on right before the battle – everytime! If you put the Armor on in the morning but you have an evening prayer meeting – confess your sins, put the Armor on again!
Have you ever been in church full of the Holy Ghost ready to lay hands on someone because you know God is about to work and then the person that you have a problem with walks right infront of you? Yeah. That’s the enemy disarming you. This is why you need to keep short accounts with God concerning your sin. Confess. Repent. Make peace with people. Quickly! Here is a list that you can check to see if you need to repent for anything.
3. One myth I’ve heard in prayer circle is that they were clothe in the Armor since the day they were saved and therefore there is no need to put it on again. Guess what? They’ve been fooled. Read Ephesians Chapter 6 starting at verse 10. You have to put it on or it is not on. Imagine if a soldier going into war thought just being handed his battle gear was enough and he didn’t actually have to put it on to go into battle? What do you think would happen?
4. Add Psalm 91 to your arsenal. Here is a Psalm 91 prayer
5. You also need to learn some warfare scriptures
Spiritual Warfare for the Advanced Warrior
At this stage, you would have mastered everything the beginner and the intermediate warrior does. And, if you haven’t you should avoid any major spiritual warfare.
The most important thing at this point is your character.
It’s not that you can flow in the gifts of the Spirit or how long you can speak in tongues or how many visions you have. No. It is your character. What’s going on on the inside? This will determine how you will handle yourself when the battle is heated.
Your maturity level. Humility. Love. Submission to authority. Integrity. Being Teachable. Quick to Repent. Quick to Forgive.
Jesus said (John 14:30 New American Standard Bible NASB) “I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me”
When the enemy shows up will he have anything in common with you. I am not talking about external stuff that everyone can see. I’m talking about your heart.
If you are a person of prayer, every spiritual gift will come to you when you need it. You don’t need to be worried about signs and wonders and miracles.
When you are connected to the source all the gifts are available to you.
In the natural we have the air, the earth and the ocean. Each one of these dimensions have different laws that govern them. On earth we all respect the law of gravity and we need oxygen to live. This is enforced and there is no way around it. Somehow within us as disobedient children we always find a way to break the other laws, like not driving the speed limit or other things. These laws were put in place to protect us but being sinners we’re always looking for a way around them.
The problem occurs when we take the same disobedient attitude and try to enforce it upon the other dimensions. In the ocean, the deeper you go is the more you need to obey the laws that govern the depths of the sea. If you go on a deep sea dive you need a diving suit, and an oxygen tank plus the mask. These are the laws and you can’t break them or you die. Also, a shark can come along and eat you and it’s never at fault.
There is no shark or sea creature in jail serving a life sentence for eating people. Why? You were in it’s territory.
That’s why we need to be certified to go to a certain depth because we need to know the laws and rules that govern that depths of the sea.
When you enter the dimension of the air there are rules as well. You’ve heard the flight attendant give you the rules in the case of a loss in cabin pressure. You also know that due to the change in air pressure you can chew some gum to alleviate the pain in your eardrum. If you wish to go higher into the air dimension you have to train to be an astronaut before you can do that.
Spiritual Dimensions or Heavens
As in the case of the natural dimension you have spiritual dimensions. The earth is one dimension. Then you have the 2nd heavens where angels and demons live. Then the third dimension where God lives along with those who have passed on.
Just as the natural dimensions have laws and rules the same thing applies with the spiritual dimension.
There are sick intercessors, pastors, prophets because they didn’t follow the laws and rules that govern the dimensions of the spiritual realm.
Things you must consider when entering into the spiritual realm in prayer
- You MUST put on the Armor of God. This is not an option. It’s the law if you find yourself in the 2nd heaven (Daniel 10:12-14) or 3rd heaven (2 Corinthians 12:2). There may be times when you are in prayer with a group and you were not expecting to enter into a warfare prayer. Well, as soon as you notice you’ve shifted into that put the armor on. This is your protection.
- Some Christians like to throw around the scripture “everywhere the sole of my feet touches the Lord has given it to me”. Hmmm, not so! Christians use this scripture to go into territories and regions that they have no business being there. Can you imagine if a police man from Miami, Florida tried to go make arrests in Atlanta, Georgia? It’s not happening. Why? That’s not his territory. You need to know your territory and your boundaries when you go to war. Read Deuteronomy 2, even the Israelites had boundaries to their land. They past enemies along the way and God told them specifically, don’t touch that land. You can’t just go into a war in any region you chose unless God told you to go there. Things need to be lined up in the spiritual realm (angels and all) to grant you safe passage so that when you get there you are covered.
- Angels have territories too and they are not going to move out of their territory just because you decided to do it (I’m referring to the ones that are protecting you). You may not follow the rules but they surely do. Daniel 10 calls the territorial spirit the Prince of Persia because his territory was??….Persia. That means he’s not going to show up in another country. That would be another territorial spirit. Do you understand the consequences of going up against a territorial spirit when you are not equipped? Remember territorial spirits are top dogs in a region so under them there are powers, authorities, spiritual forces of wickedness. So when you go after the 1 territorial spirit now you have 50 others coming after you that are under the command of that spirit.
- You are not called to fight every demon and every battle. God can make you aware of what’s happening with the demonic in your territory that does not mean that you are suppose to go to war with it. Again, you need to ask God. Your job until you get to go ahead is to do the reconnaissance work. Get the information and wait until God tells you what to do with it. Even King David had to ask God “shall I go up against them?” and he waited for an answer. (1 Chronicles 14:10)
- Depending on the size of your ministry, not everyone in your prayer group or prayer line is saved. Therefore, what happens when you have an unsaved person entering into a spiritual warfare battle? You end up in a sons of Sceva situation. Read Acts 19 The problem is these people don’t even know they are unsaved. Most Pentecostal Christians believe someone is saved because they speak in tongues. Have you heard of demonic tongues? Not everyone who speaks in tongues is saved. Whenever you are entering into warfare with people you don’t know, everyone is an hostile until proven ally. You’re not going to tell this to your prayer group but you need to govern your spirit in such a manner. Armor on. Shield up. Especially if you get this a check in your spirit about someone. Pay attention to that.
You were given dominion over the earth realm and your territory so if someone with a demon is in your path you can cast that out safely. You do not have dominion in the 2nd and 3rd heavens. There you are in the domain of demons and angels.
Problem occurs when we get into intercession and end up in the 2nd heaven or the 3rd heaven and violate the rules. When you do this you put yourself in danger.
(Job 25:2) “Dominion and awe belong to God; he establishes order in the heights of heaven.”
(Job 38:33) “Do you know the laws of the heavens? Can you set up God’s dominion over the earth?”
In the 2nd heavens these beings don’t have physical bodies. On earth sometimes they will possess a person but they can also roam around without a body as well. So that means they can also operate in more than one dimension. This is why it is very important that you have the gift of discerning of spirits if you are going to enter this level of warfare. You need to be able to discern a spirit whether or not it has a body.
Christians that have found themselves sick because they fought battles they were not called to fight:
a. Entered a battle with no Armor
b. Fought a battle without adequate angelic coverage
c. Flew up into the 2nd heaven without permission from God and started warring with beings.
d. They left God out of the battle
e. They come back into the natural realm and got inflicted with sickness and disease, their marriage fell apart, they are living in poverty because they are now plagued by demonic spirits they are still not equipped to fight.
f. The saddest part of all, is when they take a new Christian into battle with them to “train them”. This would be like the Army taking the toddler to war in Iraq or the 10 year old. Can you imagine that? Totally irresponsible.
If you have unsaved people in your prayer group or on the prayer line – do not go into spiritual warfare with them. You are opening these people up to attacks.
If you have new Christians same rules apply.
This would be just as bad as casting out demons with unsaved people and children sitting nearby when you don’t know how to properly send demons out of a room. Very bad.
We have to be mindful of these things. People’s lives are at stake.
If you are a new Christian and you find yourself in a prayer group, in a battle and realize they did not put the armor on, put your Armor on and take note this prayer leader has no idea how to protect the people that they are mentoring therefore you should probably find yourself another mentor.
2 Corinthians 12 (NIV)
Paul’s Vision and His Thorn
“I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. 2 I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows. 3 And I know that this man—whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows— 4 was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. 5 I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses.
6 Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, 7 or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
Where was Paul? In the 3rd heaven when he got a thorn from a messenger of satan (a demon). Notice that he doesn’t even talk about the fact that he was the one in the 3rd heaven..he says “I know a man in Christ”. What can we learn from that? Your 2nd and 3rd heaven experiences are not to be shared. Unless God gives you permission you are not talk about them. Why? It could be boasting and the next time you come back into the natural realm you too may have a thorn.
Picture this, you go into the 2nd heavens in a heated battle with demonic spirits and you win. So you come back and you and your entire prayer group proceed to high five each other, walk around telling everyone about your great victory. Now those demonic spirits come looking for the persons who were involved in the battle. It sure was easy to find you because you had no helmet on (somebody forgot about the Armor) on top of that you and your big mouth led the demons straight to your house. So guess who is about to get seriously harassed and inflicted? That’s why you can’t talk about it. There’s a reason Paul couldn’t talk about it. You need to follow suit.
If you are a part of a prayer group and you have had these experiences and the leader of the group comes back and tells others about it, watch out!
Give God His Glory. This is where the humility comes into play.
What are some of the signs you’ve stirred up demons in the spiritual realm?
- You are sick. And, it may be what I like to call a “phantom illness” which means you know you’re sick, you have symptoms but the doctors can’t find anything wrong. This could be because it is demonically induced and you are not really sick you just need to get rid of the demon and the symptoms will go as well.
- You are sick and it has been diagnosed but now you know, after reading this, where you got this illness. I want to say very clearly that not all illnesses are from demons.
- Ever since your experience in prayer your household is a mess! Your marriage is on the brink. Your children are not the same.
- Your finances got trashed after your prayer experience and you’re still trying to recover.
- You feel like you are in a wrestling ring being “tag teamed” by demons. The minute you defeat one, another one jumps in and then you defeat that one and another one jumps in and so on and so forth and it has been going on for a very long time. You are worn out and don’t know how to make it stop.
Remember, demons don’t have physical bodies so they never get tired, they don’t have bills to pay, a spouse, children so their only concern is you. You will never win in a war like this with prayers you found on the internet or YouTube.
Does this mean that you should never go into the 2nd and 3rd heavens? No. The key is to get permission. When God grants you access you are golden! He’s going to make sure that you are covered because He would have a purpose behind your visit. Notice Paul is not giving much details as to why or how his affliction happened except that he got it so he wouldn’t be boastful. Boasting is a sin. Also, you can’t have doors open in your life in the area of sin and go in and out of these realms. Eventually a demon will gain access to you through that open door.
The Apostle John who was brought into the 3rd heavens so he could write the book of Revelation. He was only allowed to write what he was told to write and the entire time he was escorted by an angel.
Revelation 1:1-2, 9-11, 19. 4:1-2 New King James Version (NKJV)
Introduction and Benediction
“The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants—things which must shortly take place. And He sent and signified it by His angel to His servant John, who bore witness to the word of God, and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, to all things that he saw.
I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, saying, “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last,” and, “What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.”
Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which will take place after this.
After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this.”Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne set in heaven, and One sat on the throne.
John was there by invitation from Jesus, he was told to speak of it by Jesus through writing to the different churches. He was only able to move through the heavenlies when they told him to move. When you read the book of revelation pay attention to the fact that John did nothing in the 3rd heavens unless he was told to do it. So he was not a rogue warrior in the heavenly dimension doing what he thought was right.
You must have permission. If God brought you in safely, He is able to get you out safely.
When Daniel was wrestling in prayer in Daniel 1o, he didn’t fly up into the 2nd heavens to war against the Prince of Persia. No. He stayed in the earth realm and through is prayers and fasting to God the Lord sent Micheal (who is also a Prince) to fight the Prince of Persia so that Gabriel could deliver the message. Have you ever wondered why Gabriel didn’t fight the Prince of Persia? That’s not his job. Messenger angels deliver messages and warrior angels fight wars. They know their place. They follow the rules. We need to do the same.
Now that you understand how you got afflicted how do you fix it?
Repent. When you decided to go to war with things you do not understand you basically usurped God’s authority. You decided to play God and so he stood on the side with His angels. He’s waiting for you to give him back His throne and step out of the wrestling ring so He can do what only He can do.
Here is a simple prayer:
Abba Father, I repent for usurping your authority and thinking that I could fight this war for You. Forgive me Lord for this transgression. Forgive me for moving out from under the shadow of your wings. I am removing myself from this battle and handing it back to You. The battle is Yours Lord. I am giving back the throne to you my Warrior King and humbling myself under your Mighty hand and waiting for your deliverance. I call upon El Gibbor, the Mighty God and Jehovah Sabaoth the Lord of Hosts to take His rightful place on the throne of my heart and fight this battle for me. Relinquishing it to You, in Jesus Name! Amen.
You see the only one that can ever get the Glory is Jesus. He is the only one who is Mighty to save and can defeat these spirits. So when you are in these realms He is the only one along with His angels that can defeat this. His name is EL GIBBOR. This the Hebrew word for Mighty God. This is the God of the Battle. It is Jesus.
(Isaiah 9:6) “For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God (El Gibbor), Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”
After you’ve repented God will be watching to see if you meant what you prayed so when you get up in the morning, put your Armor on, pray Psalm 91 and Read aloud Psalm 24. This is the Psalm that calls in El Gibbor. Do not be alarmed if you feel the hairs on your arm stand up when you read this aloud. It is a warfare scripture and most people don’t realize it. Once you read it aloud you’re done. No more searching the internet for prayers to defeat your giant, no more taking it into prayer rooms, you are done – you gave up the throne.
You called El Gibbor in and He takes over. Go about your day. You will start to notice that the demons are gone. The minute they realize you exited the wrestling ring and El Gibbor is on the scene?! Game over!!
Psalm 24 New King James Version (NKJV)
The King of Glory and His Kingdom
A Psalm of David.
The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness,
The world and those who dwell therein.
2 For He has founded it upon the seas,
And established it upon the waters.
3 Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord?
Or who may stand in His holy place?
4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to an idol,
Nor sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive blessing from the Lord,
And righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6 This is Jacob, the generation of those who seek Him,
Who seek Your face. Selah
7 Lift up your heads, O you gates!
And be lifted up, you everlasting doors!
And the King of glory shall come in.
8 Who is this King of glory?
The Lord strong and mighty,
The Lord mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, O you gates!
Lift up, you everlasting doors!
And the King of glory shall come in.
10 Who is this King of glory?
The Lord of hosts,
He is the King of glory. Selah
The first part of the Psalm acknowledges that God owns everything and He alone is in charge of all the dimensions. The second part shows that you can’t come to Him less you repent of your sins. You need to be quick to repent and confess of your wrong doings. The third part after you’ve cleansed yourself from sin you now call on El Gibbor to enter your situation.
God is so AWESOME!
Nobody can deliver, but God!
I know this was a long post but I know that this will set some people free, bring clarity and save some of you from entering into unsafe situations.
If you have been blessed by reading this, will you share it? You could be helping someone else.
Also, if you need some prayer support, write the prayer request in the comment section and we will pray for you. Please remember that you also need to do your part. We can’t repent for you and we can’t call El Gibbor into your situation only you can do that. So you do your part. El Gibbor does His part. And, We will do our part by praying for you.
God Bless You and we love you.